COMPREHENSIVE (COMPLEX) DESIGN STUDIO // 2020 spring
of the Department of Urban Planning and Design
2020 spring – for RESULTS OF APPLICATION please roll down to the bottom –
UNIVERSITY LIVING IN THE METROPOLITAN TISSUE OF BUDAPEST AND VIENNA
As we spend our university years, we need a wide variety of different spatial situations. Beyond the weekdays on campus, university students’ housing, learning habits, community and leisure activities also seek new spatial forms. Meanwhile, student’s lifestyle are strongly linked to metropolitan vibe, international students bring new cultures to the city, further enriching the diverse local climates. New functions and spatial needs are often embedded in historic urban fabric redefining the old housing structures. To meet this new challenges of student life and new forms of accomodation will emerge over time or the old ones need to be re-interpreted. During the semester we are looking for this new possibilities of university students housing forms and will try to rethink the existing functional structures from the architectural, educational and sociological point of view.
During the course we will study and analyse a large number of social housing examples also in Budapest, in Vienna and also in other countries. The research (specially for Msc students) focusing on typologies will continuously go parallel to the semester. In March a study trip to Vienna will be organized, where contemporary developments will be visited with the guidance of their architects/urban designers.
The topic of the semester will be the same for the whole group.
The semester is divided in 3 parts: research about the topic; concept making and design process. We will start with common groupwork and will continue with individual designs based on the common concept.
The site of the semester will be the same for everyone, and will be a few urban blocks in the historic tissue of Józsefváros Palace District, between the Hungarian Radio and the ELTE Trefort Ágoston High School (see aerial) with a large number of empty plots and infill possibilities. In the immediate neighbourhood of the area we can a find various university buildings and faculties. During the semester we will deal with: urban renewal, historic typologies of Pest, infill developments, housing typologies: co-housing and social housing, urban sustainability,
consultants: Domonkos WETTSTEIN, Csaba BAJUSZ
students: maximum 12 students, principally students of the Urban Specialization will be selected for the course (in case of large interest we will try to involve more consultants and the limit will be raised)
The schedule of the application follows the dean’s directive on the same topic: LINK
– so please make your preliminary application until 12.00 o’clock Friday of the second week of the exam period (January 10th, 2020)
– the first preliminary ranking of the students will be announced here on the webpage until January 17th, 2020
CRITERIA OF RANKING:
The students will be chosen based on two criteria:
- students of the Urban Specialization will be preferred for the course, nevertheless the department has the definite intention to also admit students from the regular course
- students will be ranked based on their previous works (simplified portfolio). For this we expect from each applicant to upload one file that has to include 2 projects (strictly not more and not less!): (1.) your Department Design 3 project from previous semester and (2.) your favorite previous project (other than the DP3 project). Merge them into one pdf file not bigger than 20 MBs and upload it to the link below.
- List of accepted students: LINK
If you have questions: Domonkos Wettstein (email@example.com)
sources of pictures: google.com / hirado.hu / archive